Do you want to convert QuickBooks desktop to online quickly? It makes your life easier by moving to QuickBooks online. However, it gives you the freedom to access the data from anywhere. You can use your QuickBooks from anywhere and anytime. But before we move on to migration, we should know the process in detail. With migration, some essential company files get migrated, and having a safe migration process is necessary. Let us learn to migrate data from QuickBooks desktop to QuickBooks online. Many users might need clarification about whether to switch to QuickBooks online. Also, the migration process should be easy for the users so that they have the surety of data safety.
Call us on 1.855.738.2784 directly for any queries related to migration. In addition, our experts can guide you to convert QuickBooks desktop to online.
Decide whether to migrate to QuickBooks online.
The success of migration depends on the company file mainly. If your company file is larger and has a lot of data, it might not be suitable for you to migrate with large files. With this file size, you need to relocate with an additional setup in QuickBooks. If you are a user of QB desktop pro, you might be a good candidate for migration, as your file size will be comparatively small.
How to prepare for migrating to QuickBooks online?
There are a few pointers that you need to consider before converting QuickBooks desktop to online.
Step 1: Backup your files
- Go to the file menu if you are using multi-user mode and then choose switch to single-user mode
- Then head to the file menu and tap on create backup and further select local backup
- Now click on next
- Look for the local backup-only option, then tap on the browse
- Select the place to save the backup file
- Choosing the number of backups in this step is optional for the users
- Tap on ok when you are ready to move ahead
- Choose to save it now and then tap on next button
- A confirmation message displays once your backup is done
Step 2: Update QuickBooks desktop
- Head to the file menu if you are in multi-user mode, then choose switch to single-user mode
- Go to help and then tap update QB desktop
- Tap on update now
- Further, click on get updates and then hit close
- Select the file and then click the exit
- Restart your QuickBooks
Learn to move your QuickBooks desktop file to online
You should know how to shift the company files to the desktop online. So that as soon as you switch to QuickBooks online, you see the migration process.
Step 1: Keep your desktop file ready.
- Please note that you have a time of 60 days after you create a QuickBooks online account
- Ensure your QuickBooks is updated well
- Check if your company file is manageable to migrate
- To ensure that your targets are not crossing 750,000, press ctrl+1. If it is more than that, you cannot migrate to QuickBooks online
Recommended to read : QuickBooks Error 1321
Step 2: Migrate your QB desktop file to online
QuickBooks desktop pro or premier
- Login as admin in the company file. You need to migrate
- Head to the company and then select export company file to QuickBooks Online
- Tap on start your export
- In the QuickBooks Online company login as admin
- Click choose the online company and select the company file you want to replace
- Press Continue
- Choose track inventory
- In the text column, enter agree and then tap on replace
- Click yes, go ahead and replace your data
- Finally, click on replace
Recommended to read : QuickBooks Error 15101
QuickBooks desktop enterprise
- Again, log in as admin to the desktop company file you want to migrate
- Press ctrl+1, and the product info window will pop up on your screen
- Now press Ctrl + B + Q and then tap on ok
- Tap on get started
- Login as admin into your QuickBooks online company
- Then click on choose the online company and choose one
- Click on continue
- Choose track inventory
- In the text bar, enter agree and then tap on replace
- Finally, choose yes, go ahead and replace the data and tap on replace again
Steps to follow after your migration is completed.
Try to run all these steps once you switch from QuickBooks online to desktop.
Step 1: Compare the reports
- Balance sheet report
- Customer balance summary
- Trial balance
- Supplier balance summary
- Sales tax summary report
Run all the reports by “all dates” and verify them to compare if they are similar in QuickBooks desktop and QuickBooks online.
Step 2: Confirm company settings
- Go to the settings icon and then choose account and settings option
- In the company tab, enter the company and contact details
- In the company email box, enter the email id; you will be able to receive the monthly invoice here
- Select save
Step 3: Confirm the sales tax settings
- Head to sales and tap on sales tax
- Choose the setup sales option
- Select the province in which you are running your business. Then tap on save
- Complete filling in the required information in this step and then tap on next
- Tap on ok on the next screen
- You can edit all the settings as per your requirement
Step 4: Connect your credit card and bank accounts
- Head to bookkeeping and then tap on transactions. Further select bank transactions
- Tap on connect account, or select add account if you have already made one
- Look for your bank
- Choose Continue
- As the bank window pop-up appears, enter the username and password credentials
- Now select the account you want to link to
- Choose the type of account from the drop-down button
- Select the date for download
- Then click on connect
You must read this : QuickBooks Error H505
Step 5: Recheck the account detail types
- Head to business overview and tap on reports
- Open account list report. If you cannot locate it, you can also browse it
- Recheck your accounts
- Choose the account name and the correct detail type from the detail drop-down button
- Tap on save and close
Step 6: Complete your payroll setup
- Move to payroll and tap on employees
- Recheck the pay cheque of each employee is switched to yes in the paid year section Employees
- who have yet to receive the pay cheques should be kept on no
- Tap on complete payroll setup
- Keep moving ahead with instructions to complete the setup
- Once you are ready to pay your employees, select run payroll
You may also see : Covert QuickBooks Online To Desktop
Step 7: Add users
- Move to the settings menu and then click on manage users.
- Click on add user
- Type your new user’s name and then your email id, and then click on save
Make sure to recheck and ensure that everything matches between your QuickBooks desktop to online. Run all the reports so that everything is in place once you have migrated to QuickBooks online.
We hope we have efficiently helped you convert QuickBooks desktop to online with this complete guide. Suppose you want help or need assistance from QuickBooks experts. Call us on 1.855.738.2784 directly. We make sure to take all the queries and solve them for you so that you can work on your QuickBooks online seamlessly. With experience in QuickBooks, they can be the best guide for you.
You may read also : QuickBooks Error 1904