QuickBooks is famous accounting software and can throw some errors or glitches while working on it. If your system has stuck and is responding very slowly to your commands, this might be a sign of the error code. The QuickBooks error 6189 and 816 appears on your desktop when a user tries to access the company file. This error means there is some problem with your multi-user network, not with your data files. So the users need not worry about important company file data. But at the same time, it is safer always to have a backup of your company file. You can also utilize the ADR (Auto data recovery) tool for scheduling an automatic backup for your company file.
The error 6189 appears on your screen with an error message stating, “an error occurred when QB tried to access the company file.” If you have also encountered a similar error in your QuickBooks, we will discuss some easy fixes to help you eliminate this error. But before we move to the troubleshooting section, let us briefly discuss error 6189 and 816.
Are your worried about the QuickBooks error 6189 and 816 popping up on your screen repeatedly? If yes, call us on 1.855.738.2784 and speak to our QuickBooks experts. We have a group of QB professionals who can help you eliminate this error.
What are the primary factors for the QuickBooks error 6189 and 816?
Certain underlying factors can trigger this company file error in your system. Go through the factors and try to avoid the error in the future.
- Having missing or damaged QuickBooks components can trigger the QuickBooks error 6189 and 816 on your desktop.
- Any accessibility issues with the company file or folder on the QuickBooks host system can also cause this error.
- A problem in the windows registry can also cause the error 6189.
- If your operating system is affected by any antivirus, it can allow the error to appear on your desktop.
- Damaged ND files could also instigate this error in QuickBooks.
- Installing QuickBooks using a corrupted setup file can also cause this error on your desktop.
- Using an outdated QB version could be the reason for error 6189.
- Not having enough permission to access QuickBooks files or folders can also trigger the error.
- The error can appear on your screen if another user logs into QB in the single-user mode.
Recommended To Read: How To Resolve QuickBooks error 103
How to identify the error 6189 and 816 in your QuickBooks?
These signs and symptoms will appear on your screen due to error 6189 and 816 in QuickBooks.
- You cannot access your company file due to the error 6189 and 816 in QuickBooks.
- Your screen will start freezing or crashing in the middle of the work.
- The application will perform sluggishly once the error code appears on the screen.
- The pc fails to respond to your orders.
How to eliminate the QuickBooks error code 6189 from your desktop?
We understand it is challenging for some users to fix this error, but we have provided a step-by-step guide for every solution. So that you can implement them in order with steps and eliminate QuickBooks error code 6189 from the screen easily, but before you move to steps, you can also ask the user to switch to multi-user mode to access the company file.
Solution 1: Utilize Quick fix my program from the tool hub
- Close QuickBooks desktop.
- Download the latest version of the tool hub on your desktop.
- Access the downloaded file and follow the commands on your screen.
- Make sure to finish installing the tool hub entirely on your system.
- Choose program problems in the tool hub and tap Quick fix my program.
- Start QuickBooks desktop, and now try to access your company file.
You May Read Also: How To Fix QuickBooks Error 12007
Solution 2: Try to restart all your computers and servers
- Firstly restart your server pc that is hosting your company file.
- Now restart each workstation.
- Access QuickBooks desktop on your server pc.
- At last, access your QB desktop on each workstation.
Solution 3: Run QB database server manager
- Head to tool hub, choose network issues and then choose QB database server manager.
- Check if you get a prompt to install QuickBooks on your pc.
- Choose start scan if you can see the company files.
- If you cannot see them, browse the files and select start scan.
- QB database server manager will do the necessary repair.
- Now choose close.
- Open QB on your sever pc and then your workstation.
Solution 4: Try relocating your company file to the local hard drive
- Move the company file to a local hard drive if the error still appears on your screen.
- You can store the QB files on the server system’s hard drive.
- In the future, stop storing files on removable devices.
Refer to the solutions mentioned below if the above-listed solutions cannot help you fix the QuickBooks error 6189 and 816.
Recommended To Read: How To Resolve QuickBooks Error 15215
Solution 5: Try running the QB refresher tool
- Download the QuickBooks refresher tool and then install files from it.
- Save the files to access them easily.
- Review that no other task is running on QB.
- Close all the versions of QB that are running.
- Tap twice on the QBRefresher.exe file to launch it.
- Let it run and complete the on-screen instructions.
- Reopen your QB desktop.
Solution 6: Backup and restore the file
- Make a backup file on the old pc.
- Copy all the backup files on the new pc.
- You can do it with the help of a flash drive or any external device.
- Restore the backup of the new pc.
Solution 7: Modify the files with extensions ND and TLG
- Move to the folder that contains the ND files.
- Search for the files with ND and TLG extensions.
- Right-click on all the files to rename them and add the terms OLD to the file name.
- Reopen your QuickBooks desktop and try to access the company file.
- QuickBooks cannot open this company file error 6189 will be rectified by now.
Solution 8: Fix the installation issues with your QB
- Access the QuickBooks tool hub that you have already installed.
- Utilize the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool in the installation issues section. This will fix the installation issues in QB.
- Let the process complete. Do not interrupt the procedure in the middle.
- Open the company file once more to check if the error has gone.
You May Read Also: How To Fix QuickBooks Error 15241
Solution 9: Try restarting the server with windows admin details
- Make sure you are logged into windows as admin.
- Restart the server that hosts the company file.
- Restart the workstations.
- Open the QB desktop in the server and then the workstation.
Solution 10: Update your QB desktop
- Go to the help menu in QB
- Select the update QB desktop option.
- Heading forward, hit on the update now tab.
- Choose the get updates option to install the recent updates on your system.
- Install the updates and restart your system.
These steps do not require much technical expertise. You can perform them on your own to eliminate this error successfully. But always keep your QuickBooks and windows updated to avoid these bugs in your QuickBooks. Always have a backup of your company files to avoid any data loss. Company files store essential business data of QuickBooks users, and any error can affect this data.
You May Read Also: How To Fix QuickBooks closes unexpectedly
How to manually fix the QuickBooks error 6189 and 816?
Follow the steps if you want to fix the QuickBooks error 6189 and 816 manually.
- Look for the transaction log file and then rename it.
- Verify the user’s permissions for the QBDataServiceUserXX.
- Confirm the QuickBooks files are not encrypted.
- Copy the QuickBooks files and then paste them into the desktop.
- Try to access the file now.
Some good practices for the QuickBooks users
- Store your QuickBooks files, including the company files, on your hard drive of the server computer. Online services are also good to use but can sometimes be problematic.
- Do not try to encrypt your QuickBooks files on the hard drive. It can block multi-user network connections.
- Avoid storing files on removable drives. As these external hard drives, USB drives are not complied to run QuickBooks or your multi-user networks.
- Keep the tool hub downloaded on your system, as it helps rectify many errors in QuickBooks.
- Keeps your QuickBooks updated to avoid these bugs.
Winding it up here!
We understand that the errors associated with the company files stop your access to the company file and hampers your workflow and productivity. This article is a comprehensive guide for eliminating QuickBooks error 6189 and 816. Are you still stuck with this error code on your screen? Do not panic; dial us on 1.855.738.2784 and speak to the experts directly. We have a certified group of QuickBooks professionals who can quickly help you fix this error. If you have any concerns or queries, you can address them with our experts.
Recommended To Read: How To Resolve QuickBooks Connection Has Been Lost