QuickBooks makes accounting effortless for users, but it annoys users with various technical glitches. QuickBooks error H505 is one of them that comes along with an error message, “This company file is on another computer, and QuickBooks needs some help connecting.” The error appears when a user tries to switch QuickBooks from single-user mode to multi-user mode. Having incorrect hosting settings on the server computer and workstations is one of the leading causes of this error. If you also received QuickBooks company file error H505, follow the troubleshooting solutions given in the blog to fix it at once.
If you find it difficult to resolve QuickBooks error H505, call us on our toll-free number 1.855.738.2784 and get assistance for the same from the QuickBooks technical support team
Reasons behind the appearance of QuickBooks Desktop error H505
Following are some major factors leading to this multi-user mode error:
- QuickBooks is unable to locate the IP address of the workstation.
- Hosting settings are not configured correctly on the server computer and workstation.
- DNS settings are incorrect, which creates issues.
- QuickBooks Database Server Manager and QBCF Monitor Services are not running on the server computer.
You may read also : QuickBooks Error 503
Quick Ways to Eradicate QuickBooks Multi-User error H505
Follow the fixation solutions given below in the correct order to resolve the error permanently:
Solution 1. Configure hosting settings manually to fix the issue
- Reopen QuickBooks on the computer where you see QuickBooks error H505 and go to the File menu instead of opening the company file.
- Select Utilities. If you see the Host Multi-User Access option, this workstation is good. Move to another one.
- On the next workstation, look for the Stop Hosting Multi-User Access option and select it.
- Follow the same steps to change hosting settings on all workstations where you see error h505.
Solution 2. Test connectivity between the workstation and the server computer
You need to ping the server computer from your workstation to check connectivity. Here’s how:
- Head to your server computer, hit the Windows key, and type ‘Network’ within the search field.
- Open Network and Sharing Center and click Change advanced sharing settings.
- Move to the Network Discovery and File and Printer sharing sections to check if the Turn on network discovery option is selected.
- Now, to know your server name click the Start menu on your server computer and type ‘Run’.
- Open the Run window, write CMD in the Run dialog box, and hit Enter.
- The name on the right of the Hostname is your server name.
- Write down the hostname, move to your workstation and click the Windows Start icon.
- Type ‘Run’ in the search, open Run, and then write CMD in the Run window.
- Hit the Enter key, then type” ping [server name], and again tap Enter.
- Repeat the same procedure on each workstation where you see error h505.
If you are unable to resolve QuickBooks error H505 on your own, dial our toll-free number 1.855.738.2784 and get in touch with the certified QuickBooks expert’s team.
You may read also: QuickBooks Keeps Freezing