QuickBooks is an accounting tool held in high esteem among many accountants, and it is easy to see why. Its sleek interface streamlines accounting tasks, while its frequent updates ensure that it remains relevant and powerful in an ever-evolving world. Furthermore, QuickBooks, the ubiquitous accounting software tool utilized by businesses and organizations worldwide, is renowned for its extensive range of features.
Nevertheless, it is not immune to the occasional glitch or error, such as QB Error Code 12029. In this step-by-step guide, we will delve deeper into the causes of error code 12029, explore methods for eliminating it, and offer advice on how to ward off the same issue from turning into a recurring annoyance.
Uncovering the Roots of QuickBooks Error Code 12029
QuickBooks error code 12029 can generally occur while updating it or when updating payroll. It can also come up during other general tasks, but for the most part, the error shows up when you attempt to update. There can be some very obvious and basic reasons for this error, such as no internet or some other wrong settings in Windows.
QB error code 12029 can have roots in one of these issues or factors:
- You recently installed a 3rd party firewall or internet security system. This could cause QuickBooks to stop functioning in certain areas, such as connecting to Intuit servers for updates.
- QuickBooks has recently introduced its internal browser, which is used for various tasks. Despite that, users still need to have internet explorer installed and internet settings to be configured properly for QuickBooks to function without any issues.
- Internet Explorer also needs to be set as the default browser.
- SSL certificate is a security protocol to establish a connection in a safe and encrypted way. It is essentially a secure sockets layer certificate issued by a certificate authority. The expiration of SSL could mean it has reached the end of its validity and is no longer valid to establish a secure connection. This does not happen that regularly, but it can be the root cause of Error code 12029 in some cases.
- The internet is not running.
Let’s find out the exact actionable steps you can immediately take to rectify these problems and Fix QuickBooks Error Code 12029.
Techniques to Fix QB Error Code 12029 have been shown to work with a high rate of success!
You may have figured out from the list of reasons for QuickBooks error code 12029 that troubleshooting it can be a bit complicated. This is because the error is caused mainly by the issues that are generally associated with the internet. And in a complex environment, the list of internet issues can be endless.
However, there is also good news. You do not necessarily need to go through each and every troubleshooting avenue that sounds logical for fixing error QB error code 12029. There are a few techniques that are known to work consistently to eliminate errors in most cases.
Let’s check them out now.
1 – Authorize the Connection from QuickBooks in Your Firewall!
Windows firewall (Defender) works pretty much automatically. It blocks connections to programs that it deems to be a risk. However, certain changes in your system can sometimes configure the firewall rules in unwanted ways and can also block connection to and from QuickBooks, mistakenly detecting it as unauthorized. This can happen after you install a new Firewall or install a significant update to the firewall. It also occurs when there is a significant update to QuickBooks that changes the automatic network rules set by the security system.
The steps below will help you in fixing this error. You can perform this troubleshooting strategy even if you believe there is no firewall issue in this case. These steps apply to Windows Firewall. Steps for another firewall or internet security can vary, but generally, they will look similar.
- Open Settings. You can press WIN + I to open settings.
- Click on “Open Windows Security” (Inside ‘Privacy and security section)
- Go to ‘Firewall and network protection’ section and then click on ‘Allow an app through firewall
- Click on ‘Change Settings.’
- Look for QuickBooks under the list of allowed apps and features. If you can’t find it, click on “Allow Another App” à Browse à Locate to Program Files Folder where QuickBooks is installed and select QuickBooks.exe program file, and click ‘Add’
- Select the checkbox under the network type to allow QuickBooks. Select the network type – private or public, or both – depending on which type of network you use QuickBooks with.
After you have configured firewall correctly, but it didn’t seem to fix QuickBooks 2019 error code 12029, move on to the next solution.
2 – Fix Issues with Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer has been discontinued by Microsoft, and it will no longer be accessible after February 14 in, 2023. For now, many applications and software rely on Internet explorer, including QuickBooks. And the way internet explorer is configured can affect QuickBooks, sometimes even causing it to give out errors, including QB error code 12029.
The steps to fix any issues caused by internet explorer or the settings set inside internet explorer are outlined below:
- Press WIN key or click on Windows START icon to open the Start menu.
- Search for ‘Internet Options’ and then open it. (You can also open it from the control panel)
- Inside ‘Internet Options’ window, adjust some of the settings that are likely to cause error code 12029:
- Check that the security level for the internet is set to medium-high and not higher. Lower than that can reduce errors and make connections easier, but it can also cause a security risk.
- Go to the Connections tab and verify that there are no dialup or VPN settings added. Also, go to LAN settings and verify that “Automatically Detect Settings” is checked and every option is disabled.
- Go to the tab labeled ‘Advanced, scroll to the bottom, and verify that the “Use TLS 1.2” checkbox is selected.
It is also recommended to restart your system after making all the changes.
For some users, firewall or internet explorer is configured correctly and they do not see any changes to error code 12029 after performing those above two solutions.
If you fall under that category, you need to do a few extra things to fix QuickBooks error code 12029.
Various Other Solutions for QuickBooks 12029 Error Code
Try the following tips to troubleshoot and rid yourself of the error.
- Solution: 3 – If you are receiving this error while trying to update QuickBooks, make sure that you have tried the ‘reset updates’ option, which will delete any temp files associated with the update downloads. To do that:
- Go to the Help menu of QuickBooks.
- Click on ‘Update QuickBooks Desktop’ option from the dropdown.
- In the Update Window, go to “Update Now” tab
- Select all the updates, such as essentials, new features, maintenance, help, and accountant.
- Solution: 4 – Repair QuickBooks.
- Go to Control Panel à Programs and Features
- Right-click QuickBooks and select “Uninstall/change”
- Choose ‘Repair’ option and select ‘Next’
- Click on ‘close’ after the repair is finished
- Solution: 5 – Use Windows Safe mode to perform updates to QuickBooks or payroll. If you are still receiving errors in safe mode, you can reinstall the entire QuickBooks software in Safe Mode. The simplest way to start Windows in Safe mode with internet-enabled is to select ‘Power’ à ‘Restart’ while holding the SHIFT key, and then when the computer starts, follow the on-screen options for starting safe mode.
- Solution: 6 – You can also try to flush your DNS service server. This will reset any stored cache information such as IP addresses and used ports. Sometimes, Microsoft’s internal services and components can occupy ports that QuickBooks use for its functions. The quickest way to flush DNS is to open the command prompt window and type the command: ‘ipconfig /flushdns’ and press enter and then restart the computer.
If you have followed all the 6 solutions outlined above carefully, you would have likely fixed QB 12029 error code that has been troubling you. But sometimes the problem has much deeper roots than you may have estimated. There can be major bugs in your system or software that require a more systematic and sophisticated form of problem-solving that is also very time-consuming. If you are unfortunate enough to face the more tenacious and persistent case of error code 12029, the path of least resistance to fix the issue for you would be to call our dedicated helpline number +1-855 738 1472 for professional support.