You are thinking about what to buy instead of your old iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus brand new iPhone 12? If you are not sure that it is worth making such a purchase, read the comparison of smartphones below.
iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus are already considered old smartphones. Of course, they can still work decently, but the iPhone 12 has many more opportunities. The comparison below will prove it.
- Front-facing camera
- iPhone 7 – 4.7-inch True Tone Retina HD IPS LCD display, 1334 x 750 (326 ppi), True Tone, 3D Touch
- iPhone 7 Plus – 5.5-inch Retina HD IPS LCD display, 1920 x 1080 (401 ppi), True Tone, 3D Touch
- iPhone 12 – 6.1-inch Super Retina XDR display, 2532 x 1170 (460 PPI), Haptic Touch, HDR Display, True Tone, HDR10, Dolby Vision
The Super Retina XDR display on the iPhone 12 is a whole new level compared to the iPhone 7 display. It’s bigger and brighter; it’s got more resolution, it’s got HDR and Dolby Vision support. Despite all this, the frame around the new display is skinny, so the smartphone itself is smaller than the iPhone 7 Plus. The iPhone 12 display is protected by Ceramic Shield glass, which has become four times stronger.
The only advantage of the iPhone 7 display is that it supports 3D Touch. However, this advantage is not very relevant without system support.
Check it Also: iPhone 12 announced
- iPhone 7 – 138.3 x 67.1 x 7.1mm, 138g, IP67
- iPhone 7 Plus – 158.2 x 77.9 x 7.3mm, 188g, IP67
- iPhone 12 – 146.7 x 71.5 x 7.4mm, 164g, IP68
The iPhone 12 is made of aluminum, as is the iPhone 7/Plus. However, the new smartphone looks more modern thanks to the front panel with thin frames around the screen. It doesn’t have a Home and Touch ID button, but it has Face ID. If you categorically do not like the “bang” on modern models, the iPhone 12 – not for you. In general, the iPhone 12 is much better than the creation of the iPhone 7. The smartphone is also better protected from water and dust – it can be submerged to a depth of up to 6 meters. What’s more, the iPhone 12 is thinner and lighter than the iPhone 7 Plus.
- iPhone 7/Plus – A10 Bionic, 10 nm tech process, 6-core CPU, 4-core GPU
- iPhone 12 – A14 Bionic, 5 nm tech process, 16-core Neural Engine
The A10 Fusion processor inside the iPhone 7 still works well, but it still affects age. You may even be happy with the performance of your iPhone 7, but the iPhone 12 will be faster to do with any task. You’ll notice the difference in running apps, switching between them, etc.
The A14 Bionic processor inside the iPhone 12 is based on the 5 nm manufacturing process. Apple claims that the CPU is 40% faster, and the GPU is 30% faster. Neural Engine is also better – now it is twice as fast. Machine learning tasks are ten times more quickly. The iPhone 12, with its processor, has again set a new standard in smartphone performance. With the new Neural Engine and improved machine learning, apps will work better.
- iPhone 7/Plus – 32GB, 128GB
- iPhone 12 – 64GB, 128GB, 256GB
The base version of the iPhone 7 has only 32GB of storage. In those years, it was enough, but now it is not. Most likely, the memory on your iPhone 7 is already running out. The only other option is 128GB of storage.
By comparison, the iPhone has 12 64GB of primary storage, and 128GB and 256GB options are available. If you’re changing your iPhone 7 to iPhone 12, choose 128GB, especially if you plan to use a new smartphone for at least 3-4 years.
The iPhone 12 has more RAM. This makes multitasking work better than the iPhone 7. This also applies to influential games with apps.
- iPhone 7 – 12MP camera with aperture f/1.8, optical image stabilization, Auto HDR, Focus Pixels, flash quad-LED True Tone
- iPhone 7 Plus – 12MP wide-angle and a telephoto lens with aperture f/1.8 and f/2.8, optical image stabilization, portrait mode, Auto HDR, 4K video recording
iPhone 12 – dual 12MP camera with aperture f/1.6 and f/2.4, optical image stabilization, Smart HDR 3, Focus Pixels, Portrait mode with depth control, brighter True Tone flash, Night mode, Deep Fusion, Dolby Vision with video recording in HDR, Night mode for timelapse
The iPhone 7 doesn’t have many of the features that the iPhone 12 has. This shows how fast mobile photography has been developing in recent years.
All three smartphones have 12MP main cameras, but the iPhone 12 has an improved sensor and a wider aperture. This makes the images much better. Smart HDR 3 and Deep Fusion also help with image processing.
The iPhone 12 supports Night Mode for all cameras. The iPhone 7 doesn’t have that feature at all. The iPhone 7 Plus has a second telephoto lens, but it’s less useful than the iPhone 12’s ultra-wide-angle lens.
In terms of shooting videos, the iPhone 12 is also much better than the iPhone 7.
- iPhone 7/Plus – 7MP FaceTime HD camera, f/2.2, Retina Flash, Auto HDR
- iPhone 12 – 12MP FaceTime HD camera, f/2.2, Retina Flash, portrait light, 4K video recording, Night shooting, Deep Fusion
In terms of the front-facing camera, the iPhone 12 also far overtook the iPhone 7. The iPhone 12 makes selfies much better thanks to the new Deep Fusion sensor and processing. It even supports night mode so that you can take selfies even in the dark.
- iPhone 7/Plus – Touch ID in Home button
- iPhone 12 – Face ID
The iPhone 7 has a Home button on the front that includes the Touch ID fingerprint scanner. Because of this, the smartphone has a wide frame around the screen. Face ID technology is more convenient, but only when it works. For example, when you’re wearing a medical mask, Face ID won’t recognize you. In such cases, Touch ID is more convenient.
- iPhone 7/Plus – one SIM card, LTE-Advanced, Wi-Fi ac with MIMO technology, Bluetooth 4.2, VoLTE, NFC with reading mode, GPS, Express Cards
- iPhone 12 – 5G, Gigabit LTE, two SIM cards, Wi-Fi 6 with MIMO technology, Bluetooth 5.0, NFC with reading mode, Ultra-Wideband chip
There’s nothing to compare. The only similarity of smartphones is that they support Wi-Fi and mobile Internet. On iPhone 12, Wi-Fi faster, Bluetooth is more stable, the mobile Internet is also much quicker. Also, the new smartphone supports 5G networks.
- iPhone 7 – up to 13 hours of video playback, up to 40 hours of audio playback
- iPhone 7 Plus – up to 14 hours of video playback, 60 hours of audio playback
- iPhone 12 – up to 17 hours of video playback, 65 hours of audio playback, wireless charging standard zi, charging MagSafe, fast wired charging
Even if you don’t care much about the camera, display, or design of the smartphone, the work duration will worry you. Most likely, the battery capacity of your iPhone 7 has already fallen below 80%. Even if you replace the battery with a new one, the iPhone 12 will run a few hours longer.
The iPhone 12 also has advantages in terms of charging. It supports fast wired charging, wireless charging, and MagSafe. The MagSafe charge provides speeds of up to 15 W.
Apple no longer sells the iPhone 7. The iPhone 12 is an expensive smartphone, but its features justify this cost. You get a great display, modern design, excellent build quality, improved performance, more extended operation, improved camera, etc.